The World Festival of Animated Film (WFAF) is held every second year in the city of Varna. The Festival is organized by the World Festival of Animated Film Association and the Varna Festival Center with the support of the Bulgarian Ministry of Culture, Bulgarian National Film Center and the Municipality of Varna.
The official languages of the Festival are Bulgarian and English.
• Any frame by frame or computer-assisted animated film, meeting the following requirements, will be considered eligible for the Festival.
• The work must have been completed after 01 January 2009.
• The screening copy of the selected films must be in one of the following formats – 35mm (optical soundtrack only), BETACAM SP PAL, BETACAM Digital, HDCAM, Blue-ray.
• Each entry shall contain only one work of the entrant.
• Running time, in accordance with the category where the film participates, shall be for short films within 45 min, and over 60 min. for feature films. TV series shall be of one episode not exceeding 30 min.
• No works using copyrighted scripts, images and music without the copyright’s owner consent shall be considered.
The films shall compete in the following categories
• Short films
• Feature films
• Children`s films
• TV series
• Student`s films
• The deadline for submission of entry forms and preview DVDs shall be 06 July 2011.
No entry forms and preview DVDs shall be accepted after this date.
• No entry fee is required.
• The entry forms can be filled out online at the Festival’s web-site www.old.varnafest.org from 30.04.2011 through 06.07.2011.
• Entrants will receive receipt confirmations by the Festival at the e-mail addresses they have indicated.
• The films for the official selection can be sent online at the FTP address provided by WAFF or via regular post to the following address P.O. Box 1453, Sofia 1000, Bulgaria
• The preview video print of the film can be directly uploaded at the Festival’s FTP address in DVD, AVI or Quicktime formats, or a DVD can be sent by mail. The DVD disc must have a label indicating the title and the running time of the film, its author and the country of origin.
• Each preview DVD shall contain only one film.
• All film submissions must be shipped, prepaid and packed in proper containers to arrive at the Film Festival office no later than 06 July 2011.
• The envelope must clearly indicate that the package is: For temporary cultural purposes, no commercial value!
• The Festival does not assume any liability for damage to film submissions due to improper containers or otherwise.
• The costs related to the transportation of the preview DVD copies and other materials shall be entirely paid by the sender.
• DVD copies and all other entry materials shall remain in the Festival’s archive and shall not be returned.
• Only duly completed, signed (when hard copies) and dated entry forms shall be eligible for selection.
• Only one entry form shall be submitted for each film.
Required Entry Documents
• Entry form
• CV and filmography of the director (not longer than one page)
• Director’s photo (5 х 5 cm., 300 dpi, JPEG, not obligatory)
• Three still images from the film (9 х 13 cm., 300 dpi, JPEG)
• Synopsis of the film (300 characters maximum)
• A preview DVD prints of the film.
• In case of a voice-over screen commentary and/or dialogue in a language different from the official languages of the Festival, the works must be submitted with an English dialogue list or with English subtitles list.
• The entrant or producer must also provide an adequate supply of stills and promotional materials to allow the festival to promote the film properly.
• The Festival accepts no liability in the event that its publications reproduce inaccuracies in submitted materials.
• The Organizing Committee of the Festival shall appoint the International Selection Committee, consisting of 5 members, 4 of whom with nationality other than Bulgarian. At least 2/3 of the members shall be animation art professionals.
• The names of the International Selection Committee members shall be announced on the Festival’s website.
• No member of the Selection Committee should not have been involved in the production, promotion or distribution of any film, submitted for selection.
• Works will be judged within their category for conceptual, aesthetic and technical innovation and excellence.
• The International Selection Committee shall select the works both for the competition program and the out-of-competition named “Panorama”.
• The decisions of the International Selection Committee shall be final and require no explanation.
• The selection shall take place between the 7th and the 11th of July, and the results shall be announced on the Festival’s website. The authors of the selected works shall be duly notified.
• The screening copies of films entered in the official competition program must be received at the address of the Festival no later than 20 August 2011.
• The film print must be sent in an adequate shipping envelope marked as follows: For temporary cultural purposes, no commercial value, value of carrier less than EUR 5.
• The Organizing Committee of the Festival shall appoint the International Jury, consisting of 7 members, 6 of whom of nationality other than Bulgarian. The names of the members shall be announced on the Festival’s website.
• No jury member should have been involved in the production, promotion or distribution of any film in the competition.
• The decisions of the International Jury shall be final and require no explanation.
Official Awards of the Festival
The Jury shall award the following prizes:
• Grand Prix, including a EUR 5 000 cash prize
• Varna Municipality Award, including a EUR 3 000 cash prize
• Best Short Film Award, including a EUR 2 500 cash prize
• Best Feature Film Award, including a EUR 2 500 cash prize
• Best TV Series Award, including a EUR 2 500 cash prize
• Best Children Film Award, including a EUR 2 500 cash prize
• Best Graduation Film Award, including a EUR 2 500 cash prize
No Best Film Award shall be granted in the category where the Grand Prix has been awarded.
Accommodation and Accreditation
• The organizers of the Festival shall cover hotel and food expenses for the entrants in the official competition program throughout the Festival.
• Travel expenses shall be paid by the entrants.
• Every person willing to attend the Festival as guest may apply for accreditation through the Festival’s website; section “Accreditations”, where detailed information on the terms and conditions for registration can be found.
• In case of selection, the director or producer of the work shall provide a print of the film in the format, indicated on the entry form.
• The Organizing Committee shall guarantee the safety of the copies from the moment of their delivery to the Office of the Festival, till their return delivery to the address indicated on the entry form. The Festival will pay for the return transportation charges of the films, excluding any additional costs for tax and custom clearance in the country of return.
• The return of the copies to the address, indicated on the entry form, shall commence no earlier than two weeks after the end of the Festival.
• A selected film cannot be withdrawn from the programme.The Festival reserves the right to change a selected film’s category, to alter programmes without prior noticeand to withdraw delayed or poor quality prints from the selection. The International Jury has the right to withhold an award in any category if, in the Jury’s opinion, no work within the category meets its standards for appreciation.
• Unless otherwise indicated on the entry form, the entrant grants the Organizing Committee the right to use part of the film (up to 10% of the film duration) and the corresponding promotional materials for the publicity purposes of the World Animation Film Festival Varna 2011.
• The Festival welcomes the producers of prize-winning films and films in competition to donate a print of their films to the festival. These prints will be kept within WAFF’s Archives.
• It is the entrant's responsibility to obtain copyrights, clearances and permissions. WFAF assumes no responsibility for violation of copyright law.
• All cases not envisaged in the present Regulations shall be settled by the organizers of WFAF.
• By submitting the entry form of the Festival, the entrant agrees with the present Regulations.